Where is Casa de la Esperanza?
Casa de la Esperanza is located near to the town of Anáhuac, right in the middle of Chihuahua’s scenic llanos, an area of plains and rolling hills. It is surrounded by flourishing farmlands, often owned and worked by Mennonite neighbors who have lived in this area since the 1920’s.
Anáhuac is about one hour west of Chihuahua City, about 15 minutes north of Cuauhtémoc, with a population of about 14,000 people, most of which either work for Pondercel, the local paper manufacturing plant, or in family owned stores. Locals are very accepting of visitors, as many “Americanos” visit us during the spring and summer months.
Traveling to Casa is direct along Highway 45 from Juárez to Chihuahua, then west on highway 16 to Cuauhtémoc. These Highways from Juárez to Cuauhtémoc are well-marked and well-maintained four lane highways. Shortly before reaching Cuauhtémoc, there is an intersection named Apache Station; turn right onto a well maintained road leading to Casa. Casa is seven miles from the Tacuba (or Apache Station) intersection. The entire drive will take approximately five to six hours after you successfully cross the border, depending on the number of stops and the border crossing. There are several places along the way to eat and refresh yourselves.